If you’re like me you like watching and learning from the best. I love being a part of social media campaigns and reading about the successes. I want to know what companies are doing innovative work and what works. I love what Sharpie has done in social media.
When I was new to social media or any form of internet marketing I craved having a mentor. The best part of social media is the visiblity – you can see what the best in the industry are doing and connect to them.
Just making friends with someone who has influence in social media can get you great traffic and links. That’s how I know Mat. It’s pretty normal for us to ask each other to push out each other’s blog posts or stories. In fact, I don’t do it enough.
5 Tools to Help you Find and Follow the Social Media Elite:
- The Facebook Elite based on HubSpot’s Facebook Grader (personal profiles only allow up to 5,000 friends)
- Top Businesses on Facebook (helps you see the many approaches you can take on Facebook)
- Twitter Grader and Hubspot’s Twitter elite (they list overal and by location)
- Wefollow lets you search for top people on Twitter by keyword
- Twitterholic and you can use it to find top people in your industry to follow on Twitter.
Tip: If you can’t reach the elite in the tech world, try looking at who’s being covered at TechMeme and pitch a link to them. Or ask them if they’d like to see your product.
You’d probably be surprised at how accessible many of the elite are. Getting mentioned by someone like ProBlogger can bring as many hits to your site as getting a lot of Diggs and it’s easier. I recently read that famous mom blogger Dooce gets 1.5 million hits a month. When I’m consulting with people I tell them to pitch local bloggers and I usually have to explain just how powerful this can be.
Try it. Reach out to someone on the list. Then let me know what you think.