I have never been a huge fan of old school “emailing for link building” but hey, it works, and that is why people continue to do it (you know who you are). I thought I would share two stories of link building in the same industry. One that worked, and one that most certainly did not. To me, it was interesting to see the two side by side, and they both happened to come across my email path on the same day. Here we go. By the way, I have removed names/URLs etc. to just make everyone happier – you get the point without knowing the details.
I mean, it seems nice right? Using somewhat decent English (I have no room to talk by the way – bad english, spelling all around my posts) etc. Well, if you take a look at the red arrows you will see what is wrong with this request.
- Wrong Industry (close) but not close enough to “Furniture” to be relevant.
- Letting them know how it will help their search engine rankings no longer helps you, but in my opinion, hurts you. There are more tactful ways of letting people know (that don’t know) about how link building helps rankings etc.
- Telling me you are real person and not a request bot – it had the opposite effect on me – made me think they sent this to 50 million other people, and don’t really understand my industry (again, going back to the fact they got it wrong in the first place).
I may even have considered this one if they didn’t get the industry so wrong, but its just not personal and to the point (Don’t waste my time). They are trying to hard IMO.
I want to point out the reasons why this one is great. It is simple, to the point and got the link (which I will show you the response in just a minute).
- Show them how it will benefit their business (not that it will help improve their rankings) Show how it will help their customers and the people visiting THEIR site AND WHERE it will benefit their site. (supply URL)
- Make it easy for them to link – show them exactly where they can link to you.
- Be real, be yourself – Ok, we might be marketers AND Sales Managers, but let them know in this case who they are dealing with.
You can tell from this second example that a real human wrote it. It does not come across as spammed to 50 million other peeps. It seems as if it was written for THAT specific site (which it was – pay attention here – good link building alert). No mix up in industries here!
And guess what?
Most important thing here? Look at the arrow – added the link. That is your goal right? To get the link. This shows how easy it is, if it is done right. The point here is simple, pay attention to what you are doing, be personal and show exactly how it will benefit their users. You follow the examples I have spelled out for you here, you will probably start having a lot more success with link building. Good luck!