This is gonna be a quick post of some of the most common site errors I still see to date. Crazy thing to think about IMO is that it’s the middle of the year in 2011, and we are STILL seeing some of these. Now I know SEO died many years ago, but its just crazy to think these basic onsite SEO issues are not being handled like they should be with business owners. Heh, maybe we still ARE needed. What gets me is that even some of the most basic changes can bring about huge differences in traffic and rankings – and of course, sales and making money … which is why you are doing this right? To make money?
As I ran quickly through a few sites last week (for potential new clients) these were the common problems found:
- 301 issues … on /index.htm/html/php as well as not having www or non www’s assigned
- No site maps … of any kind, nor had any of them even heard of Google Webmaster Central
- No Custom Meta Data – in some cases all descriptions were same with no unique titles for every page
- No Blog, or if they did have a blog it was on blogspot or somewhere off domain – (don’t do that if you are wanting SEO benefits onsite) sure there is debate on this one, but I am sticking to my belief that it is best to have your content on your own domain … period)
- Internal Linking Structure – too many “click here” links – great post by Matt McGee where one of his talking points is on text links
- No content, or not enough content on home page – I would love comment on this one – what do you guys and gals think is a good number of words for content on home pages? other pages? Just curious to see what you all think. Thanks for playing along.
- No images, or hardly any images used and if there was an image used the naming structure was bad like “image1.gif” vs “product keyword”
- No use of H1 tags …. anywhere
Now I am sure there were more issues on these pages, (remember this was a quick site “look over”) but these were the common ones, and that is the point of this post because these are so basic. You guys … these are basic issues that should be done before the websites even launched. I just felt like posting this because it seems more and more lately I am getting these kind of issues knocking on my door.
Please add your most common seen mistakes in the comments with links to posts where people can find answers. Thanks in advance!