Is reading a BOOK really helpful to an SEO Firm (or freelancer or wanna be)?To make sure I’ve clarified – a BOOK is just that: paper back, hard-bound, library issued or purchased on Amazon. I’m not referring to an eBook, a list of blog articles or your habitual RSS Reader. Books – you know – the things that Borders can’t seem to sell anymore. Do real books even exist these days?
Questions about Reading Books
- What’s the last real book you read?
- What real book(s) are you currently reading?
- Was the book you read just for fun or to further your career as an online marketing “guru”?
- Were you forced to read the book by your company as a PR or HR stunt?
4 Reading Secrets to Help SEO’s Form Good Reading Habits
- Speed Reading is the Secret Weapon: Have you ever tried this? I know most of us think TIME is the biggest issue when it comes to reading a book. We’re too busy online all day every day to make time to read – let alone learn how to “speed read”. However, the real idea behind speed reading is that you know how (and when) to speed up and when to slow down. With a few basic techniques you can get a sizable increase on your maximum speed. If you want to learn how to speed read start reading here: Double Your Reading Rate.
- Use your forefinger to follow the line on the page. This focuses your vision onto a specific part of the text.
- Practice reading books faster than you can comprehend. This isnt actual reading but it will make you familiar with using your finger and slowly increase your maximum speed.
- State your purpose before starting to read. This will allow you to focus on information you need and reject information you dont.
2. Carry a Book Wherever You Go: I’ve started doing this, although I’m not addicted to reading yet and would rather “people watch” than stick my nose in a book. However, “…gaps of a few weeks without any reading material means several less books you can read each year. Worse, time spent without a book breaks down your reading habits so it can be harder to start again.” As SEO’s, we travel from time to time, we take mass-transit to appointments, and occasionally we go on vacation. If we have a book with us, this good habit can begin to form. Otherwise, we are simply wasting time between appointments. Some of the people I look up to most in the business world are those who are avid readers of all kinds of books (not just business books).
3. Stop Web-Surfing! For me, this basically means go on a “Facebook Fast” and stop checking ESPN MLB Standings 🙂 (By the way, did you all see that the Yankees are up 2.5 games in the AL East and have won 6 in a row?) If I were to add up all the time I “waste” dinking around on Facebook and reading articles about baseball and other sports on ESPN, I would have probably already read 25-30 books this year. How do you waste time? Can you use that wasted time to read a bit more?
4. Create a Book “To Read” List: Yes, there are great marketing books out there. Yes, there are even up-to-date SEO and Social Media Books out there. Search for them on Amazon and make a list. Create an “Online Marketing Book Club” and read books together and then meet to discuss them and share ideas (depending on who you’re with I guess). What are books you’d like to read but haven’t yet? Here are some of mine:
- Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Delivering Happiness by Tony Hseih of Zappos (Reading it now…)
- Linchpin by Seth Godin (or anything by Seth Godin)
- ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income by Darren Rowse